As an introduction to basic navigation, pilotage, meteorology and seamanship, Day Skipper Theory prepares you as a skipper to navigate familiar waters by day while also introducing you to basic night navigation. It is the starting point for most skippers as they start to learn how to make decisions on board and develop their knowledge and skills.
Covering navigation through paper based techniques and electronic aids to navigation, using the specifically developed RYA training chart plotter to give a realistic insight into electronic navigation, this course also covers:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulationsconstruction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
There will normally be a small amount of homework set each evening. This course is assessed by an exam on the last day.
Price includes tea, coffee and soft drinks, course work books and charts